Think of the ease of giving: It takes only your signature to make a gift in your will or by beneficiary designation. Now think of the impact: your gift will create your legacy of better health for the people of Hawaii – a legacy that goes on for generations to come.
We hope you consider a gift in your will or trust for one of our medical centers once your loved ones are provided for. You can also have peace of mind knowing that you can change your gift at any time and for any reason.
If you’ve included a gift to one of our medical centers in your will or trust or by beneficiary designation we invite you to share details with us so we can thank you personally and ensure your wishes are carried out as you intend.
A gift in your will or trust is easy to set up. It can be changed at any time and for any reason – it is your legacy and can create a healthier Hawaii.
Here are some popular ways to leave a gift to one of our medical centers:
- A general gift in your will leaves a gift of a stated sum of money in your will or living trust, typically in the form of personal property or assets.
- A residual gift in your will leaves the medical center that you’ve selected the remainder of your estate after other bequests, debts, and taxes have been fulfilled.
- A specific gift in your will leaves the medical center that you’ve selected a specific dollar amount or stated fraction of your estate or specified items (collections, art, books, jewelry, and so on).
- A contingent gift in your will leaves the medical center that you’ve selected a stated share of your estate only if a spouse, family member or other beneficiary does not survive you.
A gift from your retirement plan, insurance plan or other asset creates a healthier Hawaii for generations to come.
Retirement funds gift: This option is increasingly popular with our supporters and here’s why: when you designate one of our medical centers as a beneficiary of your retirement plan you give the gift that reduces your taxes, costs you nothing now and touches the lives of individuals, families and entire communities in Hawaii.
Benefits to you:
- Reduce or eliminate taxes on retirement assets.
- Remove highly taxable assets from your estate by direct beneficiary designation.
- Reduce or avoid probate fees.
- No cost to you now to give.
- Creates your legacy of health for the people of Hawaii.
To name one of our four medical centers as a beneficiary of your retirement plan, contact your bank or insurance company to see whether a change of beneficiary form must be completed.
Savings bonds: If you have bonds that have stopped earning interest and that you plan to redeem, you will owe income tax on the appreciation. In the end, your heirs will receive only a fraction of the value of the bonds in which you invested. Each medical center foundation is tax-exempt and 100 percent of your gift will stay in Hawaii.
CDs, bank accounts, brokerage accounts and commercial annuities: This is one of the best and easiest ways to make a real difference for health care in Hawaii. Naming one of our medical centers as the beneficiary of a certificate of deposit, a checking or savings bank account, or a brokerage account creates your legacy of health, ensuring a safer, healthier future for our communities for years to come.
Donor-Advised fund (DAF) residuals: Final distribution of contributions remaining in a Donor-Advised Fund is governed by the contract you completed when you created your fund. Consider naming one of our medical centers as a “successor” of your account or a portion of your account value. Great health care for Hawaii is something we can all get behind, and this is one way you can help make it a reality.